Friday, November 20, 2009

His Holiness Haircut

The missionaries did a tremendous job in Ghana. This theme of Christianity will probably be a recurring one on this blog. Even without Dennis’ daily reminders that “We Ghanaians live by the faith,” I would have to be blind not to realize it. And even if I was blind, there would probably be a nice person leading me by the hand as a personal reminder. Every day when Dennis and I drive to work, we pass by myriad signs for such and such Anglican or Presbyterian Church. And if the churches, the pastor sitting next to me, and the bibles in the back seat weren’t enough of an indication, the signs above the storefronts crack me up every time. “His Holiness Haircut,” “The Blessed Plumbing Works,” and “It Is the Lord Shoes” are just three of the ones I can remember off the top of my head. No, I am not making this up.

But my point in writing this is certainly not to poke fun. It is merely to give you an indication of the culture and the people of Ghana. Their faith stems from thanking God for all that he has given them, when they could very easily lament that which he has not. And as I said in a previous blog, which was then confirmed in a tourism book I purchased, Ghanaians are known as “Africa’s friendliest people.” There could be much worse places to be!

PS: If you are confused by the top picture of the "In God We Trust Beauty Salon", it was taken from our car as two women with platters/baskets of smoked fish on their heads walked by. That is what you are seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment